July 29, 2018
17th Sunday in Ordinary Time
“This is truly the prophet, the one who is to come into the world.”
Humanae Vitae followup
Last weekend I preached about why the Church teaches that it is not permissible to use artificial birth control. I recognize that this may be a difficult topic to hear about and challenging to live. I also recognize that it might be very difficult, or even scary, to begin considering making a change from using contraception to learning to use Natural Family Planning. I want to give some very practical advice on how to take the first steps in making this switch, and how to address legitimate concerns about using NFP.
Included in today’s bulletin is an excellent article entitled “What Do We Do Now? Making the Switch from Contraception to Natural Family Planning”, written by Patty Schneier on how to take the first steps in making this transition. Patty has a powerful personal testimony about how she and her husband were very opposed to the Church’s teaching on contraception until God slowly began to work in her heart and guide her to see the wisdom and beauty of the Church’s teaching. I hope this article by Patty will give hope and courage to know that you don’t face this challenge alone.
Here are some additional resources I highly recommend for more information on this topic:
- If you didn’t hear my homily last weekend, you can listen to it or read it online through our website – click on “Bulletins & articles”.
- Patty Schneier’s testimony “Prove it God, and He did” on CD (available in the Lighthouse kiosk in the back of church)
- Janet Smith’s talk “Contraception why not? Cracking the Myths” on CD (available in the Lighthouse kiosk)
- Jason Evert’s talk “Green Sex” on CD (I can make copies if you would like one)
- Christopher West book “Good News about Sex and Marriage”
Finally, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me to talk about this or to find more information.
You are in my daily prayers,
God bless you,