MARCH 24, 2019
3rd Sunday in Lent
Global Solidarity Sunday
“…it may bear fruit in the future. If not you can cut it down.”
Tithing Time, Talent, and Treasure
“Give to the Most High as he has given to you, generously,
according to your means.” – Sirach 35:12
Tithing refers to giving back to God from the bounty he has given to us. Everything we have is a gift from God, and so tithing is giving a portion of these blessings back to Him by giving to the Church, the poor, and others in need. A “tithe” strictly speaking means a “tenth”. Thus, “tithing” refers to giving a tenth of our income to the Church.
The bible talks a lot about tithing. In Genesis, we hear Abraham saying to God: “Of everything you give me, I will return a tenth part to you without fail” (Genesis 28:22). God also promises to bless those who give to him. We hear the Lord say through the prophet Malachi: “Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Put me to the test, says the LORD of hosts, and see if I do not open the floodgates of heaven for you, and blessing without measure!” (Malachi 3:10).
Tithing traditionally refers to financial giving, but it is important to also consider how we give our entire lives. Thus, we should consider how we tithe our Time, Talent, and Treasure.
Tithing our time – Giving God time in prayer. Making time for God every day.
Tithing our talents – Serving the Church, the poor, and others in need. Using our talents for God’s glory.
Tithing our treasure – Financial giving to support the needs of the Church.
Here are some ideas for giving of our talents in serving:
- Mass ministries – Lector, Eucharistic Minister, Usher, Server, Sacristan, Greeter, Choir
- Teach Religious Education classes on Wednesday nights
- Bring Communion to the Villages on Sunday mornings
- Organize and run a bible study or small group
- Participate in the Knights of Columbus
- Participate in the Council of Catholic Women
- Volunteer at the Lonsdale Area Food Shelf
- Volunteer at a Pregnancy Life Care Center
- Clean the church
- Assist with donut Sunday
- Be part of a welcoming committee for new parishioners
- Work at the Bazaar
- Offer your skills of sewing, or building, or fixing things at the parish
Please talk to me if you can help serve in any of these ways. I’m excited to think of the potential for our parish if we all step up in tithing our time, talent, and treasure.
Please also see the inserts in today’s bulletin about tithing financially.
You are in my daily prayers.
God bless you,